On this page:
These resources can help you to make better decisions on how to deliver reliable water services under a changing climate.
Guidance note for water sector adaptation business cases
The guidance note is for people who develop, review and approve business plans for climate change adaptation projects. This includes stakeholders such as local governments.
The guidance note:
- provides simple guidance on developing a successful business case
- includes guidance on assessment techniques for economic analysis of adaptation investments.
Guidance note for water sector boards
This guidance note will help board members and senior executives understand their responsibilities relating to climate change. This includes water corporations and Catchment Management Authorities (CMAs). The guidance note assists with:
- identifying climate change impacts
- approaches to long-term planning.
Guidance note for water corporations on estimating climate change costs
This guidance note provides a step-by-step guide for water corporations to:
- assess the costs of climate change to their operations
- address climate impacts on business by using Victorian water corporation studies.
The guidance note also includes an overview of the board framework for assessing climate change costs.
Guidelines for incorporating climate change risk into emergency management planning
This guidance note is for water sector emergency management planners and provides guidance for:
- incorporating climate risk into emergency management for water corporations and CMAs
- response plans for dam safety, algal blooms, non-hazardous pollutants of inland waterways.
Guidelines for assessing the impact of climate change on water availability in Victoria
This updated tool is for anyone responsible for future water resource planning. The tool explains how to use available climate science best to manage water.
Guidelines for the adaptive management of wastewater systems under climate change in Victoria
Wastewater practitioners can use the guidelines to:
- assess the potential impacts of climate change on wastewater systems
- identify management strategies.
Best practice principles for climate change adaptation planning in Victoria’s water sector
This tool will help water corporations:
- forecast the impacts of climate change on water supplies
- discharge their responsibilities under Clause 6-A of the Statement of Obligations (General).
Water corporations will also find how-to guides for water sector adaptation planning scenarios and embedding climate change into decision-making.
Framework for future blue-green algae assessment and management
Water quality and algal managers can use this report to find:
- the latest science on blue-green algae, including how it responds to non-climate and climate stressors
options to minimise the impact of algal blooms
- a framework for future blue-green algae assessment, management and adaptation.
Testing of the framework is taking place at sites across Victoria.
Integrated water management forums
A collaborative tool for water managers and stakeholders to work together and improve how the water cycle contributes to Victoria’s liveability.
Water managers and stakeholders can also find integrated water management forums (IWM) across Victoria.
Page last updated: 08/09/23