On this page:

Emergency water supply points (EWSPs) provide water carting for emergency stock and domestic purposes during severe dry seasonal conditions and surface water scarcity. Some sites also have equipment for supplying fire-fighting vehicles with water.

EWSP managers are responsible for maintaining the supply points, fixing access and use issues and providing information on their use.

Various state agencies can act as EWSP managers such as local councils or water corporations.

There are 3 main types of EWSPs accessible to the public for water carting:

  • Council bores that access groundwater.
  • Urban standpipes connected to reticulated potable water systems.
    These are managed by urban water corporations and access is subject to water availability. You may need a permit and costs may apply for commercial use.
  • Rural standpipes that access channels or reservoirs. Rural water corporations manage these.

While the government has a drought relief package, no subsidy is available for water carting.

Find your nearest EWSPs

You can use the map below to find your nearest EWSPs and the contact details for the EWSP manager.

View a larger version of this map.

How to use the map

  • Enter your address in the Find Location search bar.
  • To filter, use the cog icon to narrow your search.
  • Select your address using the magnifying glass icon.
  • Zoom out and/or select the coloured section of the map for more information.
  • If you are having difficulties viewing the map, use the larger version of the map.

Additional EWSP sites may be not represented on the map. Contact your local EWSP manager for additional information.

Conditions and costs associated with accessing EWSPs


Some bores can only be accessed through prior arrangement with the EWSP manager. This may involve obtaining access to a key if it is locked, or access may be restricted to licensed water carters.

Water from an EWSP bore is generally free for domestic and stock use. It is not recommended for human consumption. Some bores are fitted for access by fire tankers for fire-fighting purposes.

Urban standpipe

As an urban standpipe is generally connected to town water, it can only be accessed by a licensed water carter. The licensed water carter will have the correct tanker fittings and will ensure there is no contamination of the source water or the carted water.

The water is generally suitable for drinking.

Generally, water from an urban standpipe attracts a charge from the relevant water corporation and is available for commercial purposes. Pricing is usually tiered to encourage water use efficiency and conservation.

Rural standpipes

Conditions and costs will depend on water availability and quality. Licensing may be required depending on the intended use.

Accessing an EWSP for a commercial purpose

Charges will apply when accessing EWSPs for commercial use. Check access conditions and costs with the relevant EWSP manager.

Yes, from council bores and rural standpipes ensuring you have complied with any relevant conditions.

When carting from urban standpipes, a licensed water carter must be used. Check your local business directory for a commercial water carter in your area.

Water from urban standpipes is generally fit for human consumption.

Water from bores and rural standpipes is not recommended for human consumption.

As the quality of water varies from bore to bore, it is recommended that the tolerance levels of stock be considered against the quality available from each bore.

Page last updated: 10/10/23