On this page:
The Water and Catchments Group works with people and organisations to ensure that Victoria has safe, sustainable and productive water resources.
We are part of Victoria's Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action. DEECA brings together Victoria’s energy, environment, water, agriculture, forestry, resources, climate action, and emergency management functions into a single department to maximise connections between the environment, community, industry and economy.
Our goal in Water in Catchments is to meet current and future urban, rural and environmental needs.
We work in partnership with:
- water corporations
- catchment management authorities
- government agencies
- Traditional Owners.
We work to balance the economic, environmental and social values of water. This helps us deliver:
- secure water supplies
- greener and liveable cities and towns
- healthy waterways and aquifers.
We implement the government’s long-term water plan, Water for Victoria. This sets the strategic direction for the state’s water management for decades to come.
We are leading the implementation of a number of major strategies, including:
- The Water is Life: Traditional Owner Access to Water Roadmap. This provides an important framework to create and maintain a careful and considered balance between Traditional Owner self-determination. This includes water access management and the rights and entitlements of a range of stakeholders.
- The Central and Gippsland Sustainable Water Strategy. A strategy for the sustainable use of water resources in the Central and Gippsland region.
Find out more about our programs.
Page last updated: 20/09/23