On this page:

Floodplain planning

Regulating development helps us avoid or minimise future flood risks and impacts.

The Victorian Planning Provisions (VPPs) is the template for local governments to use for consistent planning schemes.

Each planning scheme has a mandatory policy planning framework that councils can include in their local planning policies. They can select from a series of standard zones and overlays.

Councils can use information from flood studies and can consult with catchment management authorities (CMAs) and Melbourne Water to decide on the appropriate flood zones or overlays. This helps shape local planning policies to reflect the flood risk.

What happens if the proposed development is in a flood zone or overlay?

You will need a planning permit for subdivision or works in a proposed development located in a flood zone or overlay.

There will be a referral to a floodplain management authority such as your CMA or Melbourne Water. They can object, approve your planning permit or approve it with conditions.

The relevant authority will assess your permit on its merits.

We have guidelines for assessing development proposals. The guidelines provide a clear, consistent, transparent process for managing land use and development in flood-affected areas.

Guidelines for development in flood affected areas

Get more information on planning schemes and planning permits

Learn more about planning schemes.

For information, advice and guidelines on flood-related planning permits or development, visit Melbourne Water or your local CMA.

Page last updated: 08/09/23