The Draft Yarra Strategic Plan has been prepared using a collaborative governance approach by the Yarra Collaboration Committee so that the Yarra (Birrarung) can be managed as one living and integrated entity. This group comprises of representatives from 16 organisations who care for Yarra River lands:
- Wurundjeri Woi wurrung Cultural Heritage Aboriginal Corporation,
- Banyule City Council,
- Boroondara City Council,
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning,
- Manningham Council,
- Melbourne City Council,
- Melbourne Water,
- Nillumbik Shire Council,
- Parks Victoria,
- Port Phillip and Westernport Catchment Management Authority,
- Stonnington City Council,
- Transport for Victoria,
- Victorian Planning Authority,
- Yarra City Council,
- Yarra Ranges Council.
The Yarra Collaboration Committee is led by Melbourne Water.
Draft Yarra Strategic Plan
The Draft Yarra Strategic Plan was released for public comment on 23 January 2020. As prescribed in the Yarra River Protection (Willip-gin Birrarung murron) Act 2017 (the Act), the Yarra Strategic Plan is to give effect to a long-term Community Vision for the river and once completed will provide an integrated river corridor plan that will enable the collaborative management of the river and its parklands across public agencies.
Extensive engagement with stakeholders and the community has informed the content of the draft Yarra Strategic Plan. Some of these activities to date include:
- The development and launch in May 2018 of an overarching 50-year community vision for the whole Yarra River and a vision for each of the Yarra’s four reaches defines the community’s expectations for this riverscape as well as the direction to be taken in the Yarra Strategic Plan.
- Between May to August 2018, a series of community workshops was run alongside an online survey and interactive online map to identify areas for protection and understand what success looks like for the community in 10 years for the river and each of its four reaches.
- In October 2018, a Progress Report for the Yarra Strategic Plan was released to inform community and stakeholder of work to date and provided a summary of what was heard from the community engagement.
- In February 2019, Melbourne Water gathered the Community Assembly to test the draft directions for the Yarra Strategic Plan.
- Regular briefings have been provided to the Birrarung Council on development of the Yarra Strategic Plan.
Following endorsement by all agency partners the Draft Yarra Strategic Plan was released for public comment on 23 January 2020. Community engagement on the draft will again seek to “collaborate with the community and ensure that community concerns and aspirations are understood and considered.”
Click to read the Progress Report for the Yarra Strategic Plan – October 2018.
Click to read further background on the project.
Page last updated: 28/01/20