Water for Agriculture
Water is critical to agricultural production in the region. It is used to irrigate crops and pastures and provides domestic and stock water to dryland farms.
The Strategy will support farmers to adapt and grow their businesses in an increasingly dry climate.
This support will be provided through:
- water efficiency advice and incentives and investments through the Sustainable Irrigation Program
- investigating greater access to recycled water and treated stormwater
- investigating the feasibility of new irrigation areas in the lower Latrobe region and in the Macalister and Avon systems
- improvements to water trading
Farmers’ existing water entitlements will remain protected to safeguard the region’s food security.
To find out more:
- Reach Chapter 7 of the Strategy: Water for agriculture
- Watch the Webinar - Water for agriculture
- Read about the Southern Victorian Irrigation Development Project
- Read about the Sustainable Irrigation Program
- Read about the Challenges and opportunities final report (PDF, 2.6 MB)
- Read about the Challenges and opportunities final report accessible version (DOCX, 6.2 MB)
Page last updated: 05/09/22