Latest emergency information

To get the latest on the emergency flood situation, download the VicEmergency app or head to the VicEmergency website Incidents and Warnings - VicEmergency.

If you are looking for the latest flood warnings, head to the Bureau of Meteorology website Victorian Warnings Summary.

For flood and or storm assistance, call the Victorian SES on 132 500.


Please check VicEmergency and Vic Traffic websites before travelling and defer non-essential travel to flood affected areas. Do not drive into flood waters. For information about closures of forests, parks, roads and trails on public land managed by DELWP, visit Forest and road closures, and by Parks Victoria, visit Flood and storm affected parks.

Victorian flood relief

Emergency financial assistance is available for community members whose homes have been affected by the current flood emergency in Victoria. For information, go to Relief and recovery on Vic Emergency,  or Personal Hardship Assistance Program at Department of Families, Fairness and Housing.

Help for you and your family after disaster

Most people experience acute stress during events of natural disasters. These leaflets offer advice on positive ways of coping.
Translated information: Help for you and your family after a disaster

Heritage places and objects

If you need information about the salvage and recovery of heritage places and objects, visit Disasters and heritage – getting prepared and recovery

Managing flood waste

The Victorian Government is assisting flood-affected communities in cleaning up and recovering by removing charges to dispose of flood waste. Until 31 December 2022, all flood waste from designated councils can be disposed of at a landfill, free of charge.

The waste levy will be waived and landfill operator gate fees will be covered for flood waste from designated councils.

You can learn more at Supporting flood waste management.

Stagnant water after flooding

As flood water starts to drop, you may notice you have some water left in low lying or flat areas of your property. Stagnant water will eventually evaporate or flow into waterways. In some instances, stagnant creates access problems or affects business operations for individual properties.

If you want to pump or release water into a waterway, first check by visiting the Relief and Recovery page on the Vic Emergency site.

Local water supply, infrastructure and storages

For issues in your local area relating to your water supply and wastewater services, sewer spills or drinking water safety, please contact your local water corporation. You can find a list here – Water in your region.

Many water storages are at close capacity as Victoria experiences its third consecutive La Niña weather event. Water corporations are managing storage levels safely by controlled release into our waterways.

You can find weekly updates on Victoria’s water storage levels by visiting the Current water snapshot.

Water quality alerts

The Environment Protection Authority is responsible for monitoring water quality across the state. Visit water quality alerts for current updates.

Private dam safety management

Heavy rain and flood events could lead to the rapid filling of private dams as well as overtopping, increasing the risk of dam failure.

We are urging landowners to prepare their dams for forecast heavy rainfall and take safety precautions by:

  • inspecting and monitoring your dams before heavy rainfall forecasts or flooding.
  • clearing spillways and outlet pipes to help pass flood water.
  • repairing any cracks and other defects that will help minimise the potential for any failure.
  • making sure you are familiar with your dam emergency response plan.

You can learn more on the Dam safety management page.


If your home or energy supply has been affected by floodwater, your energy distributor can advise you on how to get back up and running.

For information about energy safety, visit power safety and emergency contacts.


Where flooding occurs, animals will try to move to higher ground.

Motorists should watch out for displaced animals along roadsides.

Wildlife that does not appear to be injured should be left alone as they are likely to be fatigued and stressed, and unnecessary handling will stress them further.

If you see animals that appear injured or caught in flood water, call the DELWP contact centre on 136 186 or the Wildlife Emergency App.

The Wildlife Emergency App can be downloaded from Google Play or Apple Store.

For injured wildlife away from flood waters, contact your local wildlife carer or rescue group, or call Wildlife Victoria on (03) 8400 7300.

For more information, visit wildlife impacted by floods.

Pets during emergencies

For tips about pets and emergencies, visit: Planning for pets in emergencies on Agriculture Victoria.


GIVIT is a national not-for-profit donation platform that manages offers of:

  • donated goods
  • services
  • volunteering
  • funds for disaster and emergency events across Victoria.

GIVIT is the smart way to give to people and communities impacted by this event and is an easy, quick and efficient way of donating directly to people in need without overwhelming charities in the region.

Unrequested donations hinder recovery efforts.

Please do not drop donations in the affected areas. At this crucial time, it is essential not to overwhelm critical services on the ground.

Please check over the coming days and weeks to see exactly what is needed.

Translated information

Power outages: using alternate fuel and electricity generation safely

When power outages occur, usually as a result of severe weather events, people sometimes use alternative sources of fuel or electricity generation for cooking, lighting, heating, or power.

Portable generators can allow some normal activities to continue. However, it is important to use them with extreme caution.

Carbon monoxide is invisible, and you cannot smell it. If it builds up in a home, garage or caravan, it can cause sudden illness, loss of consciousness and death.

Protect yourself and your family from injury or death by following these safety tips.

Translated power outages: using alternative fuel and electricity generation safely

Power outages: food safety after a power failure

What to do to keep food safe in an emergency power failure.

Translated power outages: food safety after a power failure

After a flood: mould and your health

Airborne mould spores are commonly found in both indoor and outdoor environments. When they land on damp spots indoors, they may begin to grow and spread. There is no practical way to eliminate all mould indoors; the way to control indoor mould growth is to control the source of moisture.

Translated information on after a flood mould and your health

After a flood: animal and insect-related hazards

When returning to a flood-affected area, remember that wild animals, including rodents, snakes or spiders, may be trapped in your home, shed or garden. This fact sheet offers advice on minimising the risks.

Translated information on animal and insect-related hazarads

After a flood: returning home safely

When returning to your home after a flood, take precautions to reduce the possibility of illness, disease or injury.
Translated information on after a flood - returning home safely

Translating and Interpreting Service

Interpreter Symbol If you need assistance, please contact Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) for help with translating and interpreting Contact TIS National on 131 450 (within Australia) or visit

Page last updated: 22/11/22