The plan follows on from the previous Regional Riparian Action Plan but is broader and has a range of waterway programs to improve the health of waterways in Victoria.
The waterway initiatives included in the Plan are:
- Flagship waterway projects being undertaken at 18 sites across regional Victoria.
- On-ground works to protect the Gippsland Lakes and support for the Gippsland Lakes Coordinating Committee.
- Management of Ramsar wetlands.
- Major environmental works to waterways in northern Victoria.
- Management of iconic urban waterways, including the Yarra (Birrarung), Barwon (Parwan) and Waterways of the West.
- Recovery of bushfire damaged waterway assets.
- Management of water for the environment.
- Catchment management authority water statutory functions.
- Citizen science.
Read the full plan:
Rivers and Riparian Action Plan 2021 (PDF, 4.8 MB)
Rivers and Riparian Action Plan 2021 (DOCX, 14.3 MB)
The Action Plan will be delivered by a range of stakeholders, particularly the nine regional Catchment Management Authorities (CMAs), other regional agencies, Melbourne Water, Traditional Owners, Landcare and other community groups, and landholders. It will support regional jobs, with people employed in implementation across rural and regional Victoria. This includes those directly working for regional agencies like CMAs and suppliers such as fencing contractors and nurseries.
It will have a strong focus on Traditional Owner involvement in waterway management and a stronger emphasis on climate change impacts on waterways.
Page last updated: 19/05/23