This initiative provides for effective management, monitoring and reporting of the Environmental Water Reserve to facilitate the sustainable development of water resources. These actions seek to ensure healthy and resilient rivers and wetlands that can meet the diverse needs of Victorian communities.
Total EC3 investment: $40.7 m
2012-13 expenditure: $6.3858 m
2013-14 expenditure: $10.6690 m
2014-15 expenditure: $10.8862 m
2015-16 expenditure: $12.7604 m
Key achievements under this initiative include the continued effective management of Victoria's environmental water holdings by the Victorian Environmental Water Holder (VEWH) and Catchment Management Authorities (CMAs) to improve the health and resilience of Victoria's rivers, wetland and floodplains. As at 30 June 2016, the VEWH Water Holdings comprised 22 entitlements and a number of water shares, totalling a long-term average of approximately 650,000 ML. During 2015-16, environmental water was managed to meet environmental objectives at 199 Index of Stream Condition river reaches and wetlands.
Important work was also undertaken to enhance planning and technical understanding to support sustainable water resource management, and demonstrate outcomes for environmental watering. This included:
- continuation of the Victorian Environmental Flows Monitoring and Assessment Program (VEFMAP) Stage 5, monitoring fish and vegetation outcomes in five rivers across Victoria.
- scoping of the Wetlands Monitoring and Assessment Program (WETMAP), for implementation in 2016-17.
- completion of Environmental Water Management Plans for the longer-term management of environmental water at priority waterways such as Glenelg, Moorabool, and Macalister Rivers, and for Central and Lower Murray wetlands.
- development of a framework to prioritise management of groundwater dependent ecosystems (GDEs).
In 2015-16, this initiative also invested $1.705 million with CMAs to undertake investigations, planning and works projects to support environmental water outcomes. Funded projects included:
- preconstruction phases for environmental water works and measures
- preconstruction phases for works to ensure fish passage
- technical investigations to support environmental water management
- strategic knowledge projects of statewide relevance to environmental water management and outcomes.
Page last updated: 30/10/18