What is a bulk entitlement?

A bulk entitlement is a legal right to take and use water granted under the Water Act 1989.

Who can hold a bulk entitlement?

Bulk entitlements can be held by water corporations, the Victorian Environmental Water Holder and other specified bodies defined in the Water Act 1989 (section 34).

What rights and responsibilities are granted under a bulk entitlement?

In accordance with the section 43 of the Water Act 1989, bulk entitlements may specify a range of conditions and obligations on its holder, including:

  • Rules about when, where and how much water can be taken;
  • Rules about how the water can be used;
  • Rules about the right to a share of storage capacity and share of inflows;
  • Obligations to release flows for environmental uses;
  • Obligations to supply primary entitlement holders;
  • Obligations to contribute to the payment of operation and maintenance costs; and
  • Obligations to meter, maintain accounts and report.

Where can I access bulk entitlement information?

Bulk entitlements are recorded in the Victorian Water Register. You can access copies of the bulk entitlement orders on the Victorian Water Register website

How are bulk entitlements created?

The Minister for Water can issue bulk entitlements under the Water Act 1989 in two ways:

  • Conversion of a pre-existing right to water into a bulk entitlement (section 47); or
  • Granting a new bulk entitlement (section 43).

A potential bulk entitlement holder must apply to the Minister for Water for the conversion or granting of a bulk entitlement. The Minister Water must consider any applications in accordance with the procedures specified in the Water Act 1989.

Can bulk entitlements be amended?

Yes, under section 44 of the Water Act 1989 bulk entitlement holders can apply to the Minister for Water to amend an existing bulk entitlement.

Can bulk entitlements be traded?

Bulk entitlements may be transferred under section 46D of the Water Act 1989 provided the holder has applied for and obtained approval from the Minister for Water.  

Water allocation made available under bulk entitlements may also be assigned to another person under Section 46A of the Water Act 1989 in accordance with trading rules.

Applications to issue or amend a bulk entitlement

When the Minister for Water receives an application for a new bulk entitlement or to amend an existing bulk entitlement, the requirements set out in the Water Act 1989 is followed, including:

  • Applications are advertised in local newspapers and on this website;
  • Depending on the nature of the proposal, the application process may involve consultation with stakeholders and local communities and submissions to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning or the applicant. The purpose of this consultation is to identify the potential impacts of the proposal, including any adverse impacts on existing water users and the environment;
  • The Minister for Water will consider any submissions received before making a determination on the application; and
  • New bulk entitlements or amendments are granted through an order from the Minister for Water or the Governor in Council and published in the Victoria Government Gazette

Applications pending approval

No applications currently pending approval.

Recently approved applications

Goulburn-Murray Water Rural Water Corporation’s River Murray and Goulburn Bulk Entitlement Amendments

The Minister for Water has approved Goulburn-Murray Water’s (GMW’s) applications under section 45 of the Water Act 1989 to amend the Bulk Entitlement (Eildon – Goulburn River) Conversion Order 1995 (Goulburn BE) and Bulk Entitlement (River Murray – Goulburn-Murray Water) Conversion Order 1999 (River Murray BE), and its application under 47CA and 47CB to convert 194 ML of its high-reliability water shares to the Goulburn BE.

The changes were required to allow Goulburn-Murray Water to:

  • reduce its distribution loss allowances for its Goulburn and Murray irrigation districts enabling water shares to be issued to the Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder as required for Stage 2 of GMW Connections Project;
  • Reduce the maximum diversion rate for the Swan Hill offtake following the Swan Hill Modernisation Project;
  • make minor administrative amendments to correct errors in the bulk entitlements; and
  • convert 196 ML of water shares into bulk entitlement to supply the Cosgrove district via the Tungamah Waterworks District. This conversion of water shares to bulk entitlement will allow GMW to streamline accounting arrangements for managing the waterworks district supplies.

The amendment notices were published in the Victoria Government Gazette on 26 April 2019. View or download from Victorian Water Register.

Central Highland Water’s Daylesford-Hepburn Springs Bulk Entitlement

The Minister for Water has approved an application under section 45 of the Water Act 1989 to amend Bulk Entitlement (Daylesford-Hepburn Springs – Central Highland Water) Conversion Order 2004.

The changes were required to reflect the revised storage capacity and reduced full supply level of Hepburn Reservoir following the completion of dam safety works in 2007, and to incorporate the more accurate full supply volume of the Bullarto Reservoir obtained following a survey of the depth of the reservoir. The amendment will also incorporate an increased rate of take from the Hepburn Reservoir resulting from installation of permanent offtake infrastructure not included in the original bulk entitlement. This will provide Central Highland Water with increased flexibility in managing flows directed to their water treatment plant.

The Minor Amendment Notice was published in the Victorian Government Gazette on 21 February 2019. View or download from the Victorian Water Register.

Page last updated: 30/04/19