The Victorian Water and Climate Initiative supports research into the impact of climate change and climate variability on Victoria’s water resources. This includes three distinct but related research projects undertaken with the University of Melbourne, the Bureau of Meteorology and CSIRO.
Researchers from the University of Melbourne are increasing understanding of where runoff rates across Victoria have reduced, and the reasons for the decline. The runoff response of many catchments across Victoria reduced significantly during the Millennium Drought, and many have still not recovered. The knowledge coming from this research will be useful for informing current and future water availability across Victoria.
Researchers from the Bureau of Meteorology are working to improve understanding of different weather types and their influence on rainfall. They will also look at ways to better characterise Victoria’s current climate, and the influence of tropical expansion on Victorian rainfall.
CSIRO researchers are developing improved methods for generating rainfall and streamflow projections for Victoria. This includes looking at approaches to better understand and communicate the range of future projections, which will help inform long-term climate change adaptation planning for the water sector.
Victorian Water and Climate Initiative Newsletters
- Newsletter 8 – May 2020
- Newsletter 7 – December 2019
- Newsletter 6 – October 2019
- Newsletter 5 – April 2019
- Newsletter 4 – November 2018
- Newsletter 3 – October 2018
- Newsletter 2 – September 2018
- Newsletter 1 – May 2018
In May of 2020, we launched the VicWaCI webinar series. These presentations highlight the range of research covered by the VicWaCI program, giving you up-to-date access to the latest research results in the lead up to the release of the VicWaCI Synthesis Report. Click below to watch or email HCS.Team@delwp.vic.gov.au to join our mailing list and be the first to hear about our upcoming presentations.
These videos feature optional closed captions.
- A systems approach to understanding climate change impacts on water – Michelle Ho, CSIRO (27 May 2020)
- Which weather systems cause Victoria's weather, and how are they changing – Acacia Pepler, BOM (1 July 2020)
- Tim Peterson, Monash University, and Margarita Saft, University of Melbourne (29 July 2020 at 1pm) (join at this address)
- Luke Osburn, Bureau of Meteorology (19 August 2020)
- Peter van Rensch, Bureau of Meteorology (26 August, 2020)
Victorian Water and Climate Initiative Fact Sheets
- Fact Sheet 1 – October 2018 - Remember the millennium Drought? Well, so do our rivers… (PDF, 269.8 KB) or Accessible version (DOCX, 16.8 KB).
- Fact Sheet 2 – October 2019 - Extreme Rainfall (PDF, 933.5 KB) or Accessible version (DOCX, 20.5 KB).
- Email Hydrology and Climate Science: HCS.Team@delwp.vic.gov.au
Page last updated: 24/07/20