Cities & Towns
Seventeen per cent of Victoria’s water is used in urban areas. Almost half of that is used by households and industry in Melbourne, with the rest used in regional cities and towns.
Many of our urban populations are increasing, stretching our water supplies.
The Government has committed to secure urban water, through:
- water saving measures and restrictions
- incentive and rebate schemes
- actions to increase water recycling and alternative water supplies
- $10 million for stormwater and urban water recycling projects
- upgrading of existing treatment facilities
- initiatives to improve water efficiency in business and industry
- funding support and specialised programs for local government.