Bulk Entitlement Applications
Water corporations, the Minister for Environment and other specified bodies like electricity companies can apply to the Minister for Water for a bulk entitlement. This right to take or store water up to a maximum volume is granted under the Water Act 1989 with certain conditions and obligations.
Applications for a new bulk entitlement or to amend a bulk entitlement
With persistent drought and changes to our climate, the government and water corporations are investing in new water supply works to meet increasing demands for water from growing communities.
If these works take more water from our rivers and aquifers, a water corporation must apply to the Minister for Water for the grant of a new entitlement or to amend an existing entitlement.
The Water Act sets out the requirements to be followed when the Minister receives an application.
Bulk entitlement applications are advertised in local newspapers and on this website.
The applications process may involve consultation with stakeholders and local communities and submissions to the Department of Sustainability and Environment or the applicant.
The purpose of the consultations is to identify all the potential impacts of the proposal in the application, including existing water users and the environment.
The Minister will consider any submissions received before he/she determines the application.
Applications pending approval
- Victorian Environmental Water Holder - Murray Amendment
- Latrobe System Applications
- Goulburn-Murray Water and Victorian Environmental Water Holder - Loddon Amendments
- Goulburn-Murray Water - Campaspe Amendment
- Lower Murray Water - Murray Amendments
- Goulburn-Murray Water - Goulburn and Murray Amendments
Recently approved applications
- Southern Rural Water and Victorian Environmental Water Holder Amendment
- Westernport Water Amendment
- Grampians Wimmera Mallee, Wannon Water & Coliban Water amendments
- Goulburn Valley Water & Coliban Water - Consolidation of urban bulk entitlements in the Gouburn System
- Melbourne Retail Water Authorities - NVIRP Stage 1 water savings
- Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water & Wannon Water application
- Goulburn System Amendments
- Goulburn Valley Water - Strathbogie
- Coliban Water - Trentham bulk entitlement application
- AGL Hydro Partnership - application to revoke Bogong Village bulk entitlement
- Goulburn-Murray Water - Goulburn bulk entitlement amendment application
- Goulburn-Murray Water - NVIRP amendments
Copies of all bulk entitlements and environmental entitlements can be accessed from the Victorian Water Register website.